Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tuesday Afternoons

Grandma Gaye on the right.
Most Tuesday afternoons, my 2 youngest children and I can be found at an assisted living facility in Show Low.  My Grandma Gaye's new residence.  She is always so happy to see me us.  One time I tried going in without my babies  and she asked why I even bothered coming at all.  She loves the babies.  As does most of the other residents there.  We wave and smile and throw candy to the old people in the halls as we pass by.  They ew and ah over that Mikael.  Grandma Gaye wants to hear all the family gossip and if you share she will in turn share her popsicles and cookies with us.

My crew with Grams on her 83rd (?) birthday last month.
It is about the only time during the week that my kids and I exit our little world and get to serve someone else.  Getting old is not for sissies.  I can only imagine how lonely most of her days have been since my Grandpa died 15 years ago.  I'm sure in her mind's eye, it wasn't very long ago, her body and life looked just like the 1st photo.

Grandpa Don furthest to the right.
It appears to me from these photos that I inheirted my curly hair from my Grandpa and not his long legs.  Dang.  The funniest thing about this photo is is that he looked so much like this up until the day he died.  He did not age or change much.  He believed that there was only 1 way to do most things - his way.  The right way.  He didn't believe in cutting corners.  He was a rule follower.  I'm pretty sure a cuss word never left his lips or his hands ever littered.

On his Navy ship.  Mount Vesuvious in the back ground.
He would wave his American flag on every holiday, including my birthday.  The man had a serious soft spot for his country. He ate his fiber and vegetables regularly.  He lived to make my Grandma happy and did it in such a way that you had no idea he was doing it.  Ding, ding, ding!!.....a lesson I should try learning - make Jace happy *quietly*.  I should also quit cussing while I'm at it, wave the flag more often, and teach my kids that littering is a nasty habit and people will think less of them and their upbringing if they see them polluting the earth.  We can't have that.  Grandpa Don wouldn't approve.

You never know how your life story will play out.  Will I be sitting lonely for years without my Jace?  Waiting to see him and hear his funny stories again?  Or will Jace know life without me for a time?  Either way all we can hope for is that somebody loves us enough to brings us ice cream and babies every week.

4 comments:

Taralee said...

you, my friend, are a dear, dear person! to go visit the grandma every week...amazing!
Those old time pictures are to die for. I intend to have a wall of pictures dedicated to the crew that established me.
Plus the picture of you with your kids is quite adorable as well.

AND thanks for the advice on my "house question". I haven't even started the process for reals and I think I saw 4 more gray hairs this morning. (damn).

As for cussing- I need to stop too. Just the other day Brody was flying a kite and said, "what's wrong with this damn thing?" It's a goal to stop...just wish they had a nicatine patch of some sort for cussing. I'd be all up on that.

Caitlin said...

I love it all. Gma is so lucky and so are we right? I love the pictures of grandpa and grandma. I was just going to post them on my blog. I will have to think of something just as stellar to say :)

Fuentes Family said...

perspective. That's what you just did. Put things into perspective. Lovely post. Why did you ever stop blogging? And how did you start again?

Anonymous said...

You lucky girl! What I would do for sweet family photographs like the ones you have- they are the best kind of family treasures. I buy vintage photographs and adopt them as family since I have very few photographs- pathetic I know! I skipped right past Mikael to see these vintage beauties but she is a doll too!

I swear the cussing is a Lewis thing and all my children except for LuLu are afflicted with this :-)